Thursday, January 19, 2012

Well, Hello....New Look 6327 - Pink Leather Skirt

Well, Hello,  I have a blog.  First, to all of you who have continued to read my blog these past 4 months I haven't posted, bless your sweet souls!!! And to the new followers I have gained during the months I haven't blogged, bless your sweet souls too!!!  I actually did blog a couple of weeks ago, but I deleted it because I was unhappy with the way my hair looked  my blog post.  I thought about not explaining my absence, but the truth is that I had such a stressful semester at work at the end of last year, something had to go.  My stress put me in a funk so I just decided to (wo)man up and get through it.  I had so little extra time that I decided to use it all for sewing.   It was sewing or blogging that had to go, and well I did not want to give up sewing.  I did not want to give up blogging either, but if I don't sew, then there is nothing to blog about.  I actually was very productive in my sewing.  I sewed a lot of clothing.  I have alot to show you in the upcoming days and weeks.  This semester is going SO MUCH BETTER so far, so I plan to get back to regular blogging.  I have not commented on the blogs I follow as I should have due to the very little time I had, but I plan to be better.
   Well, let's get onto what I have to show you.  Last year during Fabricmart's huge leather skins sale, I bought the most delicious lt bubblegum pink lambskin leather that you have ever seen.  It sat, and sat, and sat in my stash because I was afraid to cut it.  I did not want to mess it up.  After studying up on sewing leather, I decided to take the plunge.  I wanted to use a simple pattern, so I chose New Look 6327.
I sewed the view that the model is wearing.  I cut out the pattern pieces and traced them onto the back of the leather.  I held them down using cans of vegetables.  Then I cut out the pieces.  Then I sat down because I thought I was going to faint--not really,  but that was a huge step for me.  
   I used paper clips instead of pins to hold together the pieces as I sewed.  A size 14 leather needle was used.  I did not have a teflon foot and did not want to buy one, so I used a tip I read about on patternreview. I put scotch tape on the bottom of my sewing foot to give it a smooth surface.  I did not use any special type of thread, just what I had in my sewing box.  I took a deep breath and started to sew.  It went like clockwork.  I never broke a needle--I could not believe it.    Let me tell you, this leather is like butter.  I saved every little leftover piece I had.  
   I did not make a muslin (I know that was stupid),  but I figured I could just adjust the skirt as I went.  Fortunately, it worked out.  I did find this skirt to run big.  I cut my usual size 12 and had to take it up alot.  I probably could have made it two sizes smaller.  I was not about to install an invisible zipper in my first attempt at leather, so I just did an exposed zipper.  

Here is how I wore it to work today.  
front
Outfit details:
olive cardigan - Alloy
ecru blouse - JCrew outlet
leopard belt - Spiegel
brown tights - Banana Republic
tan booties - Go Jane
back
(please forgive the wrinkles--these pics are after a full day at work-I didn't have time to take pics this morning)

Update:  The last post I did was about a dress failure.  I just decided to chalk it up to a bad sewing experience and not worry with it anymore.  I am going to try and salvage the fabric for something else.

Happy Sewing!!

15 comments:

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

Love the skirt. Glad things have improved for you. You've been missed.

Cennetta said...

Happy New Year, Rachel. Glad to see you sewing and reviewing again. Great job on the skirt. And now that you've taken the plunge, I suspect we will see a few more leather garments.

Crystal said...

Great skirt. Glad you are back - you always make great garments.

Jen C said...

Glad to see you back blogging!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad you're back! You're pink leather skirt is fierce! I'm really lovin' it.

Sue said...

Fab skirt!

Irene said...

Your skirt is amazing!

knottygnome said...

did you get the whole skirt out of one skin? i've thought about buying those skins from fabricmart before but haven't taken the plunge.

did you line your skirt? do you find it really hot to wear?

Bernice said...

I love this skirt. The style is so perfect for the leather. What a fabulous colour too. Your whole outfit look great.

Vanessa said...

Happy New Year!

I really like how the skirt turned out! And I also like that you are blogging again!

Lynneb said...

well, you look absolutely adorable and stress free! , and soon enough the world turns right again. love your skirt Rachel.... it really does look cute.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

That's a great skirt in a luscious color!

Jane M said...

You're back and with a real winner. Thanks for the leather skirt inspiration. I bought some blue leather from Fabric mart thinking maybe of a jacket but I love your skirt idea as well. You took the plunge and it looks great!

dresscuriousman said...

Love that skirt you've made!! Leather and pink.....very nice! Wish I had that skirt myself....

dresscuriousman said...

Love this skirt! And you've made it yourself... wow! Wish I had this leather skirt myself!!