Saturday, February 11, 2012

Black Pleated Pleather Skirt - BWOF 2-2007-110

I have recently become a pinterest addict and saw this leather pleated skirt one day while I was surfing around.
I knew immediately it would be my second leather project after my pink leather skirt.  I decided this time to use some faux leather instead, mainly because I did not want to spend the money for the amount of leather it would take to make this skirt. I bought some black pleather from MJTrends.  I decided that since this was only my second time sewing "leather" I did want to tackle as many pleats as my inspiration skirt has.  I looked through some of my old Burda magazines and found BWOF 2-2007-110 (the skirt pic below)


I sewed it straight from the instructions without any alterations except for omitting the belt loops and belt.  The skirt has a half lining which I made out of some navy blue polyester lining fabric.  I used a size 14 microtex needle for sewing and used scotch tape on the bottom of my sewing foot to imitate a teflon foot. I did manage to get up the courage to topstitch the pleats part of the way down.  I had gained a little more courage since my previous leather project., but still not enough to do the invisible zipper the pattern called for.  I did an exposed zipper instead.
I am very pleased with how this turned out.   I wasn't sure how I wanted to wear it, but I found great inspiration from Erica.  I have really been enjoying her fashion posts and this one gave me great inspiration.
After seeing her polka dot blouse, I remembered I had one in my closet that I bought at Walmart several years ago.
front
shoes:  Payless (knock offs of Christian Louboutin Helmut)
back
I had the most trouble keeping my shirt tucked in
Until next time, Happy Sewing!!


6 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Great skirt!

Faye Lewis said...

Your skirt is wonderful. Where did you find the fabric?

Linda said...

Wow, great job. This turned out nice and like the pattern you chose.

Tracy said...

Wonderful job! Love the sweet polka dotted blouse with the tougher skirt - perfect!

SEWN said...

Looks amazing. I love it!

Sheila said...

Lovely skirt and like the blouse you paired with it.