Monday, March 19, 2012

B5559 - Ivory Tucked Dress

I think Butterick 5559 is one of the most awesome patterns Butterick has manufactured in a long time.  It has been in my pattern stash for awhile and I finally got around to making it.
I had been debating about what color to make, but I knew that I wanted to make it in an ivory doubleknit after seeing the lovely Amanda's version of it.  I cut my normal size and the only alteration I made was to take a 3/8" seam in the sides instead of a 5/8".   I used an ivory double knit that I bought from denverfabrics.com.  It is very similar to the Sophia Doubleknit from fabric.com, but it was a little cheaper.  I would link you to it, but I don't see it there anymore.
The most difficult part of making this dress was tracing the markings for the tucks onto the pattern pieces.  I was sitting at my dining room table when it occurred to me that if I taped the pattern pieces (with fabric attached) to the window after cutting them out, the sunlight would shine through and help me see where to draw the markings.  It worked like a charm.  It may not have worked on a darker fabric, but it was great for the ivory doubleknit.
I am very pleased with this dress.  I have gotten more compliments on this dress than any piece of clothing I have ever made.  They have come from everyone at church from youth to elderly ladies. Maybe I need to make this dress in every color.
Shoes:  Oh Deer "Judy"
necklace:  Forever 21

I wouldn't leave you without a shoe closeup.

Happy Sewing!!

23 comments:

Stevie said...

Beautiful! I have this in my stash too! I think it would make a lovely work dress and it looks just right in a double knit! Great job x

Rebecca said...

This is gorgeous!I have this pattern in my stash, but I am not sure my sewing skills are up for it quite yet. :]

AllisonC said...

Fabulous, I agree this is a great pattern, those tucks are so flattering. There are a lot of nice patterns for doubleknits out there right now and it is one fabric I find hard to get.

Victoria said...

Lovely dress! You look so pretty!

Faye Lewis said...

Your dress is wonderful! You've made me want to make it now.

meli88a said...

This dress is adorable on you.

Vanessa said...

I can see why you received so many compliments! Very nice dress!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Ohhhhh! This is stunning! Love it!

Katrina said...

I love the dress and shoes. Nice job!!

Stitchy Witch said...

Love it in white! I have had this dress in my list for ages, but haven't gotten to it yet (I'm intimidated by sewing all those straight lines.) Yours looks great, and I do like the shoes!

Catherine Daze said...

That's really nice! I like that the back is just as detailed as the front. It looks great on you.

MySummerTouch said...

It is just wonderful! I envy you that you can buy this pattern!

Melizza said...

The details really stand out. It's a gorgeous dress and fits you beautifully!

morango & chocolate said...

lindo, muito elegante!

alethia said...

Lovely dress!

angie.a said...

That is one spectacular dress! I think you should definitely have at least one more!

Jessica said...

those little pintucks (if that's what they're called?!) are so flattering. I can see why you received so many compliments. And I like the color you chose, you'll be able to style it a multitude of different ways!

Lynneb said...

Rachel, that is a perfect fit and perfect color. Great dress!

Free Coupons said...

Loved the white dress! It looks beautiful.

Mimi G. said...

Looks great!!
xoxo

Natalia said...

Wonderful work! i think this one is my favorite. You are very talented!

Amanda S. said...

Another pretty dress!

sara's fashion shoes collection said...

love your blog and waiting for your more posts !