Saturday, March 3, 2012

McCall 6041 Jacket: Inspired by Chanel (and an outfit)

When I first saw this outfit on Kate Moss, you could have tipped me over with a feather.  It is STUNNING!!!  I am not a Kate Moss fan, and I don't normally love the way she dresses, but she hit it out of the park here.
Ever since I saw this photo, I have been determined to recreate this outfit (or an inspired version of it).  I already had in my possession M6041 and knew it would work to make a similar jacket.  My jacket is not exactly like the Chanel version, but it is very close.  I made View C with long sleeves.  
The fabric I used is a "Wool Suiting Texture Red" from fabric.com. This fabric has a pique-ish like texture to it and is a vibrant red.  I read some reviews of the pattern on patternreview.com and the overall consensus was that the sleeves are too wide.  I narrowed mine by taking a 7/8" seam.  The jumbo black ric rac and ribbon was purchased at my local fabric store.  It was not too tedious to attach, but it did take some maneuvering to get it to match up.  The jacket is lined in some basic red polyester lining fabric.  
I followed the instructions for the pattern exactly and made no alterations except for the narrowing of the sleeves.  
 
front

back
lining

Here is my outfit that was inspired by the Kate Moss version.  I decided to wear black skinny pants instead of jeans (since I wore it to work), and heels instead of flats.  I have a pair of black flats, but I really don't like them.  
Top:  JCPenney
Pants: Gap
Shoes:  Payless

Until next time...Happy Sewing!!

25 comments:

Evie said...

I have to tell you that I love your version more than Ms Moss's.
You look so polished and elegant. I'm pinning your version...not hers!

Lisa said...

You look very nice!

Candice said...

You look great! Love this look and I agree with Evie, that I love your version more.

Erica B. said...

Great jacket! You really nailed your inspiration look!

Lynneb said...

So sharp! Great interpretation, Rachel!

Faye Lewis said...

So pretty. I love your results.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Great outfit! I really like it with the black cropped pants and heels.

Leah said...

I love this look! Great job! :)

Nothing but Blue Skies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nothing but Blue Skies said...

You have a really good eye! That is an amazing outfit! You did a great job on yours! I definitely like yours better and think that I need one, too! :-)

Em

Christina said...

I love it! Your outfits always look so wonderful.

meli88a said...

First, I can't believe that photo is Kate Moss. Second, what a great job you did on getting her look! You look great.

Jean Day said...

I love your jacket, what a terrific outfit!!

Vanessa said...

Your jacket is soooo lovely! Your interpretation is spot on, and the jacket is a wonderful complement to the outfit!

BeWoot said...

I like your outfit even better. Smashing!

Catherine Daze said...

Great sharp look!

Lori said...

Your outfit looks fantastic, so stylish.

prttynpnk said...

You totally nailed this and I want this jacket!

alethia said...

You nailed this one? perfect and you looked great.

Katherine said...

Totally adorable! The giant ric-rac is just spot on. I feel the need to make an inspired copy. But I always feel that way when I read your blog. :)

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

Hi! I just found your blog browsing for an article on sewing. I love some of your projects and hope you don't mind me following?

Please stop by our blog anytime at:
www.jonesboysranches.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Lisa

Jessica said...

wow, you are so talented! Love the jacket and all your anthro inspired pieces! Now I wish I could sew a lot better! And thanks for stopping by my blog.
Yes, I just recently started coloring my hair myself. I use color from Sally's Beauty Supply and the brand is Color Brilliance. I mix 2 colors together (about 1/2 and 1/2) and the colors are medium copper blonde and light copper brown. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Jessica
http://breakfastatgigis.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Hi Rachel -
I used the permanent color since red fades so quickly and it is a liquid. And I use a 20 developer, I think the brand is Salon Care.

Royaltygirl said...

Oh Rachel I may just have to copy that! Love the look so much.
xoxo,
Sandee
From Katespade-aholic.com

Amanda S. said...

Fantastic outfit!!! Great job on the jacket - it looks exactly like the original!