Tuesday, March 27, 2012

S2444 & B5285: Inspired by Oscar de la Renta Tweed Dress

   Awhile back I was perusing the internet when I came across Jennifer Garner wearing this stunning dress.
I almost had a spell sitting right there at the computer.  I knew I had to try and do a knock-off since I could not afford the $3400 price tag.  I did some manic googling and discovered that this dress is the Oscar de la Renta Scooped Neck Tweed Dress from the Resort 2010 Collection:.  Here is how it is described:

Black and white scooped neck tweed dress. Black and silver beads trim the neckline, short sleeves and seams. A jewelled corsage sits in the centre of the neckline. A zip fastening runs down the back of the neckline. The skirt falls in box pleats to the grosgrain ribbon trimmed hemline that falls to mid thigh.
Oscar De La Renta scooped neck tweed dress is a modern take on the classic fabric using chiffon and net pieces interspersed with the wool. This fashion forward dress is a stylish and glossy look for day with towering heels and a statement bag.
37% Cotton 8% Wool 31% Polyamide 3% Flax 18% Acrylic 3% Viscose
Dry clean only
From the Resort 2010 Collection. 
Here is a runway pic.  Can you spot the difference between the runway dress and Jennifer Garner's dress?
After my maniacal search for information on this dress, I began maniacally searching for some similar fabric.  I had just about given up when I was looking at Mood Fabrics one day, and came across this pale gray/black solid tweed.  I decided it was as close to a white tweed as I was going to get.
After purchasing the fabric, I then began searching (maniacally, again) for some similar ribbon.  After spending way too much time on the internet, I finally found some that would work at the Ribbon Jar
I ordered two different sizes of the silver pinstripe ribbon here.  I must say they have very fast shipping.  It was in my mailbox within two days of ordering it.
Finally, I started constructing the dress.  I decided to use the bodice and cap sleeves from S2444.  For the skirt I used B5285, View C.  I was concerned that I might have to make some adjustments to the waist on the bodice and skirt so that they would fit together properly, but the waistlines matched up just perfectly, so they just attached together with no problem. 
S2444
B5285

I have used S2444 a couple of times before, but I have never used the sleeves.  I found that the cap sleeves had way too much ease in them.  In order to remove the ease, I used this tutorial .  You basically just trim off some of  the edge of the sleeve so that it fits into the armscye better.  Speaking of the sleeves, more on that later.  
After constructing the dress and before installing the zipper, I sewed down all the ribbon.  I trimmed the bottom of the skirt with basic black grosgrain ribbon bought at my local fabric store. Then came the task of finding a brooch to wear at the neckline.  I searched ebay because I did not want to spend alot of money and finally found an inexpensive one that I liked.  

    Here is my dress.  Notice that in the description of the dress it suggests wearing towering heels.  Well, I did. I wore my black Payless heels that are a knock off of Christian Louboutin's "Helmut".  

front
I don't know what the spot is on the RHS of my dress.  I think it is just the picture because the dress doesn't have a spot on it.
back

I am very happy with my dress except for one thing: Do you notice the front part of the sleeves of my dress?  I have little pleats forming in both of my sleeves that are almost mirror images of each other.  They are not supposed to be there.  I am not sure why they are doing that.  It does not bother me enough to keep me from wearing it, but I do wonder what is going on?  Does anyone have any idea?  I suspect it has to do with the way I removed the ease.  I was almost tempted to just gather the sleeves since they had so much ease, but I wanted as much of an exact replica of this dress as possible.  Anyway, I wore it to church this past Sunday and received several compliments on it.  No one said, "Gee, what are those little pleats in your sleeves doing there?" so maybe I shouldn't worry about.  I think as seamstresses we sometimes notice sewing issues more than those who don't sew.  I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I have tried to let some of it go in my sewing because that takes the joy and fun of it away.  However, at the same time, I do want to do things correctly. Sometimes finding the balance between those two things is hard.   Until next time, Happy Sewing!!

17 comments:

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a fabulous interpretaton - and you look great in it! Fantastic job!!!

LeighAnn said...

Yours is cuter and your shoes are way cuter and you have nicer legs!

SEWN said...

Love this dress! And the shoes are TDF!

Lynneb said...

You nailed it, Rachel! Very nice! Love the shoes, too, by the way!

Sharon said...

Great job - it's beautiful!

Vanessa said...

Superb! I love the way this dress turned out, and yes I think we seamstresses are tough on ourselves! I always critique myself much more than other people do.

~Nicole~ said...

A wonderful interpretation... I love it!

Shari said...

You really nailed this knock off...your dress looks wonderful!

Melizza said...

Wow. What an amazing similarity to your inspiration dress. I am going to be honest here, I much prefer yours. I am a sucker for grey.

I would have never noticed the pleats in the sleeves had you not mentioned it. I bet no one notice it either.

Beautiful dress!

Marie said...

Fantastic knockoff. I did not notice the pleats either.

Ann Brodsky said...

Great job! You look fantastic in this style. I bet you'll get lots of compliments wearing it.

Audrey said...

Your dress is as lovely and feminine as the inspiration dress. Great job! And the pin and shoes are perfect.

Lynneb said...

Rachel, I gave you a mention on my blog for one of those silly award thingies...because I really do love your blog and wouldn't miss a post!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous knock-off!!! I actually like your version better than the one Jen's wearing. You should be very proud of yourself:)

Marla said...

Well done and very cute! I like the gray.

Royaltygirl said...

lovely dress! I love the way you get inspired and make something for yourself. You did a great job on this dress!
xoxox,
sandee
from katespade-aholic.com

mrsmole said...

The sleeves are actually pulling from the cap. You may need 1/2 to 1 inch more at the cap to help them relax down and avoid that stress line if you make that dress again. Lay the sleeve pattern over another sleeve pattern that you like and see the difference.You did a great job copying!