Tuesday, April 24, 2012

B5315 - Inspired by Kate Spade "Jeanette" Striped Dress

    After anthropologie clothing , my next favorite clothing is by Kate Spade--well, she and  Nanette Lepore run neck and neck with each other.  I can't afford either one, but I can try and sew knockoffs.  A few months ago, I saw this ad for Kate Spade's "Jeanette" Striped dress and just knew I would have to attempt to replicate it at some point.  
   
Isn't this the cutest print ad ever?!?!?!

As I was picking out fabric for my birthday last August, I found some that would work.  It is not exactly like the Kate Spade fabric, but it is very close.  My fabric is a silk charmeuse stripe from denverfabrics.com and has less white in it.  Unlike alot of silk charmeuse fabrics, this fabric was not slippery at all to work with.  It was backed with a white lining-type fabric that gave it body and made it easy to handle.  
wrong side of fabric                                                                   

     I chose Butterick 5315-View A as my pattern.  It is a shirtdress pattern but with a slightly different collar and sleeves from the original Kate Spade dress.  The Kate Spade dress has pointed collar whereas B5315 View A has a round collar.  Also, the Butterick pattern has capped sleeves instead of regular short shirt sleeves.  
Kate Spade "Jeanette" Dress
The pattern was very simple to make and I followed the instructions exactly with no alterations.  Because of the brightness of the dress I chose to wear a peach patent bow belt from Forever 21 and light yellow patent shoes from Payless.  I also chose clear shirt buttons so that they would not compete with the colorful fabric.
The most difficult decision what what to topstitch the front placket with.  I used peach rayon machine embroidery thread.
belt

front
back

Happy Sewing!!

34 comments:

Allison said...

Oh wow, that fabric is awesome and the dress looks great. I might have to get this pattern myself!

Erika said...

great knockoff!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a great inspired by piece! It's just lovely!

Adrienne said...

So cute!

LeighAnn said...

Wow! Fantastic dress!

Rebecca said...

Very cute!

Kayla said...

Love it!

Catherine Daze said...

That looks great on you. The peach belt is perfect with it.

toy said...

super cute!

littlebetty said...

This is just wonderful - great work!

meli88a said...

Love it! Your fabric find is just right for the dress.

Lori said...

Super cute dress, great job

Irene said...

Fantastic! Turned out beautifully.

AllisonC said...

You are the Queen of knock offs! (oh, that sounds bad, but it is meant as a compliment to your skills!). This is a really cute dress and I love how you have accessorised it.

Karin said...

Cute!
I seem to have lost you off my blog roll, I've fixed that now, and I am having a great time seeing all the dresses you've made that I missed. So many gorgeous, gorgeous dresses! You are very talented, and have a great eye.

alethia said...

Beautiful knockoff.

lakaribane said...

I love it! The fabric was perfect for the knockoff.

renee said...

Fantastic knockoff!

Rebecca said...

This is fantastic! Your version looks just as nice, if not nicer, than the Kate Spade version itself. :]

Audrey said...

Echo of all the other comments. Beautiful knockoff, just as pretty as the inspiration dress. Did you eliminate a white strip on the bodice of the dress that would have gone straight across the bust? The pattern of the stripes is different in that area.

Lynneb said...

I think this is my favorite interpretation that you have ever done, Rachel! I LOVE Kate Spade, too.

Katherine said...

Better than the original! Your fabric choice is perfect. Love!

Rachel said...

Audrey,
I didn't eliminate a white stripe. This fabric didn't seem to have any particular pattern to it. I would think I had it figured out and then it would change on me. It is a miracle I was able to match the side seams.

Marla said...

Adorable! You are very good at recreating dresses. The last few dresses are spot on. A tip on your photos, move your focal point a bit higher.

Peggy said...

Oh I love it! I want one so bad!! Great job!

Simmran Sharma said...

nice Dress
Very cute outfit.

http://www.majorbrands.in/

Amanda S. said...

So, so cute! I love it! Great fit and the colors are so cheerful and perfect for spring and summer. BTW, I do not know WHAT is up with my blog dropping your blog from my favorites. Now I have to remember to come over here every so often to see if you've posted anything new.

SEWN said...

OMG that is so cute. I love it!!!

Kathleen Lisson said...

This is a wonderful dress and a great fit. I have a bigger bottom than top, so I really love this style of dress. Thanks for the photos.

Cennetta said...

Love this dress. It fun and colorful. Well done.

Nadja W said...

wow I LOVED this dress! It's funny I've had this pattern at home for the longest time trying to figure out what kind of fabric to use. I might make something like this too! Thanks for sharing!

Sandee Royalty said...

I like your version better than the original! It is so colorful.
You look wonderful in the dress too!
xoxo,
Sandee
from katespade-aholic.com

Madeline said...

CUTE!!

Agnieszka D said...

wow beautiful dress.