Sunday, April 15, 2012

S2886: Easter Dress Inspired by anthropologie


    In case you haven't figured it out by now, I really LOVE anthropologie, but I really don't love their prices.  Yet again, I was perusing their website a few months back and came across this lovely floral sundress that they called the "Verdant Slip Dress."
It came in two colorways, a teal and a mint green.  As is usually the case, I began obsessively looking for some similar fabric and a pattern that would work to make an inspired version.  The interesting thing about this dress is the back bodice, which is shirred.  However, replicating that feature was not important to me.  I just wanted a dress with the general shape and similar fabric.  
However, if you are interested in shirring, Gertie has a fabulous tutorial on her blog.  After much searching, I finally found the perfect fabric at denverfabrics.com.  It is a mint green rayon challis with a very similar floral print to the anthro dress.  It appears they have sold out of it, or I would link to it.    I used Simplicity 2886, View B (the blue floral print dress on the pattern envelope)  because the bodice is very similar to the front bodice of the Verdant Slip Dress and the straps are spaghetti straps.  Also, the back bodice calls for elastic at the top so that you get a gathered effect, ever so slightly similar to the shirring.  This dress was super easy to sew up and I did not have to make any alterations.  This seems to have been the case lately for me on Simplicity dresses--I hope it continues.  
S2886

front
back
How I wore it to church on Easter: 
Cardigan: thrifted
mint green patent bow belt"  Forever 21
Eggplant "suede" Shoes: Payless (closeup below)
Necklace Earrings:  Avon (gift from my mother from years ago)


HAPPY SEWING and a belated HAPPY EASTER!!!

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Cute dress! Love the color combo!

toy said...

I love the dress, cardi and belt, very cute

meli88a said...

As always, I am in awe of your fabric mojo. How did you find such a perfect match? It looks wonderful on you.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

The dress with the cardigan and belt is stunning! Love it!

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

Very cute! I love checking out all of your new projects!

Catherine Daze said...

You must be so pleased with that - it's really channelling the spirit of the original! Looks very good with the cardigan and belt too.

AllisonC said...

You always do a great job with your knockoffs and find perfect fabrics for them.

Irene said...

What a lovely, lovely dress!

kristin said...

Wow, great job! Love the outfit:)

Vanessa said...

Your Easter dress is such a breath of fresh air!! I love the dress with the cardigan and belt, and you look lovely!

Lynneb said...

oh, pretty! perfect fabric choice!

Amanda S. said...

I love it! I have missed all your recent stuff as your blog got deleted from my list somehow.

deepali sharma said...

WOW! this stuff are really fabulous! Love the outfits.
http://www.majorbrands.in/