Wednesday, April 4, 2012

V8728 - Gray Knit Dress

I bought Vogue 8728 when it first came out during one of BMV's pattern sales.

   For some reason this pattern intimidated me a little, and I don't scare easily when it comes to sewing.  However, I let it sit in my stash for awhile.  I think it is the gathering on the front that scared me a little and the possibility that it could very easily turn out too large on top.  
   The fabric suggestion for the dress is either knit or woven.  I decided to use a silvery gray polyester knit purchased at fabric.com several months ago.  After looking at the finished bust measurement, I made a size smaller than I usually make.  I dangerously cut into my fabric without making a muslin.  I really never make muslins for knit dresses, unless I am working with expensive fabric--this fabric was not.  I was perplexed a little by the instructions for this pattern.  The directions indicate that in order to attach the bodice to the midriff (and the midriff to the skirt) you should fold under the seam allowance and topstitch them together.   I could not see why I couldn't just place right sides together and sew the seam as usual, so that is what I did.  It worked with no problem.  The only thing I can figure out about the strange instructions is that it must be some sort of vintage sewing technique since this is a reissue "Vintage" Vogue pattern.  
    The neckline is bound using a bias strip cut from the fabric  I usually battle a little with bias neck bindings, but this one went on easily.  I think the knit fabric has just the right stretch for making it easy.  Also,  I did a baby hem. I just serged the edge and turned it under, stitched it, turned it under again,  and stitched it again.  
left side of picture:  inside hem
right side of picture:  outside hem

This dress was truly very easy to make and very quick, particularly in light of my intimidation by it in the beginning.  I wore it to work today.
front
Yellow patent bow belt:  Forever 21
Shoes: Victoria's Secret (old as dirt)
back
shoe closeup

Until next time, Happy Sewing!!

16 comments:

LeighAnn said...

The gathers at the top would scare me a little but it turned out so fantastic that I might have to try it! I LOVE the gray too - It would be great with so many colors!

littlebetty said...

I've tried this pattern twice with no luck! Your dress looks amazing and I love the shoes!

Catherine Daze said...

Pretty! It looks like it will be really versatile too.

Annette said...

Really pretty!

I've been reading your blog for a while now - I really like your projects, and I love the shoes!

MySummerTouch said...

Very cute dress! Love this a lot!

Melizza said...

Gorgeous. I love the yellow belt. It really compliments the whole look.

Irene said...

What a wonderful dress!

Eileensews said...

Your dress looks lovely on you.

Karen said...

Really pretty, and the shoes are fabulous of course.

Vanessa said...

Great dress! I remember seeing this pattern, but gathering is not my favorite thing to do, so I skipped over it. Your dress is pretty.

meli88a said...

This is adorable. I'd never have guessed it was made from a vintage pattern because it looks so current.

And you look great with those yellow accessories (how did you get that perfect match?)

Rachel said...

meli88a,
I buy way too many belts and shoes so thankfully there was a match in there somewhere. :)

Crafty Zollogirl said...

I found your blog through Pinterest last year and I look forward to seeing all your projects. You have inspired me to start sewing for myself again:)

sweet jane. said...

Wow! I bought this pattern but then decided it looked too weird/unwearable or something, so I never made it up. Even though I admire some of the others on patternreview and around the internet, yours is the first one I've seen that looks like it would fit in a modern wardrobe! I don't know if it's the grey fabric or the yellow belt but seriously -- it looks gorgeous AND work-wearable!

Simmran Sharma said...

looking good!
Nice Dresses
http://www.majorbrands.in/

cuckoochanel said...

Beautiful dress and great styling. I have this pattern, and your blog is sending it way up my to-do queue. It will be perfect late summer/early fall wear. Thanks for the tips!