Tuesday, May 8, 2012

B4978 - 3rd "Lime" is the Charm

      You can give a collective groan now at my "punny" title.  Someone told me one time I needed to keep my day job.  I think that Butterick 4978 is one of the most elegant dress patterns ever.

For some reason, though, it has been the bane of my sewing existence.  I have tried two different times to make this pattern, only to not have it turn out well.  The first time was sizing issues and the second time was scissor issues.  I chopped into the side of my bodice and there was no fixing it.  I set the pattern aside and went onto other things.  A few months back I saw a gorgeous anthropologie dress called the "Lime Juice Dress".
The style is cute, but it is more the color that I love.  I was looking at Fabricmartfabrics.com one day and found some lime green polyester crepe de chine for $1.99 per yard.  I knew it would work for my anthro-inspired dress, so I ordered 4 yards of it since it was so cheap.  It sat in my stash for awhile as I searched for the appropriate pattern.  Then, about two weeks ago, I thought about my B4978 pattern and decided to use it.  I was very nervous given my track record with it, but I pressed forward.  
     The crepe de chine fabric is semi-sheer, so I lined the dress with the same fabric since I had so much of it.  I experimented with ivory and white lining,  but it made the color look different.  There was lots of hand sewing with the pattern given the bias neck band and the fact that I chose to do a handpicked zipper for the first time ever. This fabric was TERRIBLE at pulling when I sewed seams together, but thankfully, the pulls ironed right out and were not visible in the fabric after ironing. I used an appropriate needle, so I don't know what the problem was.   I knew that if I tried to insert an invisible zipper, I would pull my hair out.  I really didn't want to insert one with the sewing machine anyway because of the tendency of the fabric to pull.  That is when I decided to do a handpicked zipper.  I had never done one before, but it went quite smoothly.  I like hand sewing and find it very relaxing.



    Strangely enough, I ended up doing a baby hem with the sewing machine instead of hand sewing one.  I serged the bottom and turned it under, sewed it down, and then turned it under again.  Amazingly, I had no pulling in the fabric when I did that.  Go figure.



  I also used sew-in interfacing instead of fusible because of possible crinkling of the waistband.  As far as the pattern was concerned, I followed the instructions exactly with no sizing alterations.  Here are pics of the front and back.


I am extremely happy that the third attempt at this dress was a success, even though I did manage to poke a tiny 2mm size hole in the left side of the bodice with my scissors. What is it with me and this pattern?!?!?  It is not noticeable, though, and I am pretending it is not there.  It is hidden among the gathers in the bodice.

Here is a closeup of the shoes:
Poetic License "Exclusive Delight"

Happy Sewing!!


25 comments:

Jane M said...

I was drawn in by the color but you had me gasping at the beautiful final result. You look lovely and this is the perfect combination of pattern and dress. Wonderful. I like it more than the patern photo.

morango & chocolate said...

tu ficaste linda ! o sapato também é lindo.

Crafty Zollogirl said...

Third time is a charm. Lovely as always!

sdBev said...

Gorgeous!!!

Jessim said...

Beautiful dress. I adore the color, but it also looks great on you.

Irene said...

Looks wonderful! So elegant! Glad that it finally worked for you. Definitely worth the preceding trials and tribulations.

Karin said...

Pretty dress! And just right with those shoes!

AllisonC said...

I have this pattern ageing away in my collection somewhere! Yours looks great, I love the colour and now I am also thinking how dull all my shoes are!

Amanda S. said...

Awesome dress, LOVE the color! And the shoes. You should show us your shoe racks sometime. I, too, have that pattern but have YET to get around to using it. So glad to see such a nice rendition on you.

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

Gorgeous! Love it.

Cennetta said...

Beautiful dress, love the shoes. Congratulations on the handpicked zipper. I really like the look of it.

Marie said...

Beautiful dress. You have done a great job despite the diffuculty with the fabric not behaving. Gorgeous shoes too, they are perfect for the dress.

Summer Flies said...

Love the colour & love the style and LOVE the shoes! Beautiful!

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

I just love your energy and your projects! Thanks for always sharing with us!

SEWN said...

Super cute dress. I wish I could wear that color.

meli88a said...

Cute dress and ADORABLE shoes!

deepali sharma said...

This outfit looks really comfy.
I Love this outfit!
http://www.majorbrands.in/

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

I am so glad to see this post, as I have a dress in my closet made with this pattern, and I can;t find the pattern in my stash! At least now I know what I am looking for in my pattern boxes.
Very pretty, I think the skirt on this dress is so nice. and the shoes are fabulous.

susiehomemakermd.com said...

Beautiful dress and I love those shoes!

Marla said...

Your dress is very nice! I love the green color.

Kristina Clemens said...

I've always thought that pattern was really beautiful and you've taken it to a whole other level! Great work, mah dear. =)

Kristina J.

Karen said...

Really beautiful with a great fit, great job.

Rachel said...

Just checking commenting

Online Women Shopping said...

Really very good post.
I like reading valuable and latest news like that. Keep up writing these. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.stalkbuylove.com

Anshika Roy said...

These are fabulous. I wish i could get them all right now. BTW thank you for sharing.
http://www.naaptol.com/