Friday, June 29, 2012

S2176: anthropologie inspired "Chocolate Chip Dress"


I just love the color brown, so when I saw anthropologie's brown polka-dot  "Chocolate Chip" Dress, I knew I would have to make an inspired version.

anthropologie "Chocolate Chip" dress

   I was surfing around the internet looking at fabric one day and came across a cream/brown polka dot cotton lawn from denverfabrics. (close up pic further down).
     I decided to use S2176 because the shape was very close to the anthro dress.
S2176
  This pattern came together very easily.  I did not have to make any alterations at all for fit--I just love it when that happens.  Even though the pattern does not call for a lining, I fully lined it because I really don't like slips  The lining is just a basic ecru colored  polyester lining.  I did a narrow hem on the bottom.   I love the feel of cotton lawn, but I don't like the wrinkly effect.  However, you go with what you can find.  The brown fabric used on the shoulder straps and bodice band is a polyester from my stash.  
front

back--
featuring the cotton lawn wrinkly factor.
This was just from sitting down for a few minutes.

fabric closeup and hem

Outfit for Work
cardigan:  JCrew
Belt:  Forever 21
Necklace:  Goody's
Shoes:  Seychelles "Pot of Gold" 

Here is a shoe closeup:
Happy Sewing!!!

P.S. For some reason, some of the text is highlighted white in this post.  I don't know why.  

8 comments:

Karin said...

Definitely a cute dress! And the shoes are fantastic too, just the right touch with a brown and cream dress.

Marie said...

The dress is lovely. I really like the outfit that you wore to work. I wish someone would dress like you at my school - most people wear the staff shirt.

Amanda S. said...

Cute dress and I love the minty green paired with it.

Catherine Daze said...

Oh pretty! It's nice alone and the accessories are the perfect contrast.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

First - the dress is sooooo cute. I love the color combo. You find such great inspiration pieces from Anthropologie.

Second - some new blogger glitch that when you add writing after you've inserted a picture and the white highlight shows up. I go to the HTML section and look for a string that says "background highlight white" or something like that and I remove it. Voila the white background goes away.

lakaribane said...

Lovely dress and styling! But I'm even happier to see your shoes!!! I just discovered this brand while surfing Amazon last month. I would like to know if they are more narrow than wide. I'm a 6.5 wide and I can get away with B/N in some brands but prefer Wide when I can get it. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me with.

Irene said...

Your dress is soooo pretty!

Rebecca said...

This dress is so cute! I think I like your version more than the Anthro version. I am a it jealous of all your shoes! THose Seychelles are fantastic. I made this dress up last summer in a cream linen. It does go together so quickly. :]