Tuesday, September 18, 2012

S2282: Leather, Lace, and Peplum

S2282
It's been awhile since I  blogged.  I had a terribly busy summer at work and then a busy start of the new Fall Semester at work.  Hopefully things have settled down for awhile now.  I have been doing ALOT of sewing--some success and some wadders.  I just haven't had time to blog, so hopefully I will have enough to keep me busy blogging for awhile. 
I am really loving the peplum trend that I see everywhere lately and I have also been loving the lace and leather I have been seeing too.  I decided to combine them all together in one dress, S2282

front
necklace from anthropologie.com

I recently jumped on the leather sale that fabricmartfabrics.com had a few weeks back.  It doesn't take many skins of leather (even on sale) to drive your order up high enough to get one of their free fabric bundles.  This is the first one I ever have gotten and it was like a Christmas present opening up the surprise fabric.  I had three 2 yard pieces of three different fabrics.  I chose to use one of them for the main body of the dress.  I really don't know what it is except that it feels like a lightweight polyester suiting fabric in an ecru color.  The tan lambskin leather used on the peplum and sleeves is not from fabricmart.  I bought it from Gorgeous Fabrics last year and had planned to use it for something else, but it just did not work out.  Thankfully, I figured out that project wasn't going to work before I ever cut into the leather.  WHEW!!! 

back

sleeve

The lace overlay on the side front panels is from Moodfabrics here
lace side panel

The dress did not call for a lining and I did not use one so the inside seams are finished with a serger.  I just wear a slip with it. I used an invisible zipper and it actually went together without me having to rip it out several times. 
side view
This dress went together without me having to make any alterations.  I have found that to be true for me with alot of Simplicity patterns.  Sewing the leather was not difficult.  I just used a leather needle and put some scotch tape on the bottom of my sewing foot so that it would slide over the fabric better.   I wore this dress to church a couple of Sunday's ago.  Until next time,  Happy Sewing !!

Oh, the shoes...they are much, MUCH cheaper knockoffs of anthropologie's "Anticipation Heels".
The Blue Gardenia interviewed me awhile back and it is here.  I was very honored to be asked.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

I love the way you combined the leather and lace is this dress. And the peplum style look so nice on you. Anthro shoes... love the styles, not the prices. Luck you to find shoes that looks so similar to one of their styles.

theperfectnose said...

Oh wow, nice silhouette and that necklace really adds pop to the whole outfit. I reckon you could dial it up a bit more by narrowing the skirt more towards the hem (for a more peg-like shape)-you have the curves to carry it off.

Irene said...

What a wonderful combination of fabrics. The dress is beautiful.

Victoria said...

Lovely look!!! I love those shoes and enjoyed your interview!!!!