Friday, September 21, 2012

S2588: Navy & Black Pleather





S2588

I became inspired to make my dress when I saw Jennifer Garner wearing this lovely dress.  I considered apologizing for my pasty untanned skin, but if you look at Jennifer Garner, she is paler than me and I think her skin is beautiful. Maybe my pastiness is not so bad after all.   Maybe I should rethink my use of tinted moisturizer.  I really hate the smell of that stuff and it is sticky. 
I just love the combination of navy and black, particularly the black leather.  For several years I have had some navy suiting fabric in my stash that I bought for half price at my local fabric store.  Last year I bought some black pleather which I used here to make a skirt. I have quite a bit left over so I decided to incorporate it into my dress plans.  I really was not set on making my dress the same style as the Jennifer Garner dress--I just wanted the combo of navy and black leather.   I decided to use S2588 because I thought it lent itself well to this combination.  I used the black pleather on the neckline.
neckline

I just love Simplicity patterns because I hardly ever have to make any fitting alterations.  Also, they are always on trend.  This pattern was very simple to sew.  I used a leather needle and placed scotch tape on the bottom of my sewing foot for sewing the leather.  An exposed zipper was installed because on one hand, I thought the exposed black zipper would tie in well to the black pleather, and I did not want to have to install an invisible zipper with this leather.  I used an invisible zipper in my previous leather peplum dress, but that leather was very soft.  This pleather is heavier.  



The belt is a patent bow belt that I bought last year from Forever 21 and the shoes are from Guess.
shoe closeup 
Guess "Mikki"

Until next time, Happy Sewing!!!

11 comments:

Irene said...

Beautiful! Love the combination of the leather and fabric. Gives the dress that "certain something" that really makes it stand out.

Linda said...

Great dress!

Ann Brodsky said...

You look great! Very sharp and unique dress!

Crystal said...

Another great dress. Glad you are posting again.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Cute dress and what a great color combo!

a little sewing said...

awesome- I don't know which I like better, the shoes or the dress, they are BOTH so great!

Lynneb said...

Oh Wow, Rachel. That is a great dress! Nice work.

Judith said...

Excellent sewing and fitting, particularly with the collar! Super work (and just love the shoes)...

Jubiliana Sera said...

Lindo , amei ...beijos

Jane M said...

Absolutely love this dress on you. Fabulous!

Aminat said...

Love, love this dress, you look absolutely gorgeous, and those shoes are fabulous