Sunday, September 30, 2012

V8594: Red Dress w/Lace Panel Back



   This dress was inspired by this lovely red dress from Modcloth with a lace panel in the back.  When this dress went on sale, I seriously considered just buying it.   However, upon reading reviews on the dress I realized that the lace back was not lined and, thus, sheer.  I knew I did not want that.  Also, I just prefer to sew my clothing anyway.  It is so much more satisfying to me to make a similar item than to buy the original.


back view of Modcloth Dress


back view of my dress


    For the red fabric, I used some linen blend from Hancock Fabrics that has been in my stash for probably 10 years.  The lace came from Mood Fabrics.  It was such a good price that I bought more than I needed for my dress.  I used it here also.
Mood Fabrics

  For the pattern, I used V8594.  There are some differences between it and the Modcloth dress, but I just love all the interesting seams in the dress.  Unfortunately, the camera does not capture the seaming very well in my dress.  


The Vogue dress was not hard to put together and the instructions were good.  I did not have to make any fitting alterations, which was a surprise, because I usually have to pinch some out of the neck with Vogue patterns.   I did use an exposed zipper to mimic the look of the Modcloth dress. 

lace panel back and exposed zipper
                                                 
The dress was lined in a beige polyester lining fabric from fabric.com.  I tried to get it as close to the color of the lace as possible.

   
I am wearing two different pairs of shoes which I have worn before because the pic of the front and the rest of the pics were snapped on two different days.  I had the worst time getting a good pic of the front.  The first time I snapped it, the neckline was flipped under and I cut off my feet in the second try.  Finally, the third time was the charm.  I think this is one of my favorite dresses I have ever made.  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!!

10 comments:

Judith said...

What a super interpretation of the original - and much more wearable with the lined lace section. Just love your sewing...

alethia said...

You did an awesome job on the dress.

Rebecca said...

This is such a lovely dress. Your version definitely looks better and of a much higher quality than the original. I love your sewing! :]

Crystal said...

stunning dress

Catherine Daze said...

That worked really well!

Karin said...

You nailed it! Super dress. It's daring, but not too daring, and the fit and proportion is just right on you.

MAD14kt said...

Well done! What a winner :)

TaraMixandMatch said...

That is so adorable...the back is so fun!

Cennetta said...

Nice rendition of your inspiration dress. I exactly like yours better. Looking good lady.

Lynneb said...

Rachel, it's perfect!