Thursday, October 4, 2012

B5677: Colorblocking with Scarlet and Winter White




    I bought Butterick 5677 when it first came out and it sat in my pattern stash.  I wasn't really sure what approach I wanted to take as far as the color blocking was concerned.  I didn't really want to do the black and ecru on the front, so one day I was perusing Pattern Review and saw a review where someone had done it in red and ecru.  I just fell in love with that and decided that is what I would do.
  The fabric is Sophia Double Knit from Fabric.com in scarlet and winter white.  I am getting to where I really like sewing with double knit.  I did not add a lining to this dress because I didn't feel it needed one.  The double knit does not ravel so there is no need to finish the seams inside.  I know that would drive alot of seamstresses crazy, but I am fine with it.   I just drafted a facing for the neckline and turned under the seam allowance on the sleeves.    The thing I love about this pattern is the pattern numbering.  The odd numbered pattern pieces are sewn in one color and the even numbered pieces are sewn in the second color.  That made cutting it out much easier.  I also did not add a zipper because this is a knit and I did not have any problem getting it over my head.  I never put zippers in any kind of knit.

     If I had this dress to make again I would probably lengthen it a little.  I normally add a couple of inches just in case I need it, but for some reason I just whacked right into this fabric and didn't bother to add any length.  Because of that, I can't see myself wearing this to church and sitting in the choir in it.   I can wear it to work because I sit behind a desk all day.  
          Forgive the above picture where I don't have my dress straightened in the back.  I was running across the porch before my timer went off on my camera and did not get everything situated.  Also, it was about 90 degrees and humid outside (see my flat hair) , so I was just happy to get a picture that was not blurry.
Matching up where the seams come to a point on the side was a challenge.  I had to rip it out about three times to get it right.  I still haven't worn this dress out yet.  I have been sewing like a mad woman and putting out more dresses than I have time to wear.  I am probably going to wear it to work next week, if it isn't too cool.  It is starting to get a little cooler in South Alabama and the humidity is getting lower.  I will try to get in at least one wearing of this dress before it is too cold.  
  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!  



11 comments:

Sewfast said...

Simply Gorgeous! Makes me want to copy it! Good job!

Catherine Daze said...

I really like the colours, I think black would have been too harsh.

Linda T said...

I LOVE it! Job well done!

Linda T said...

I LOVE it! Job well done!

Irene said...

Lovely! Looks to be very much an "easy-to-wear" dress.

Cennetta said...

I love your new color blocked dress, and Kudos to you for matching up the seams.

Karin said...

My favourite view is from the side. You really lined up those seams into Sharp points!

Aline said...

I love it. The review you mentioned at PR was the reason I bought the pattern recently, your version of the dress makes me want to sew it right away...

AllisonC said...

Great dress, it's somehow dramatic and classic at the same time and you did an amazing job matching the seams.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Lovely!

Natasha said...

That pattern turned out perfect! I love the colours you chose :)

Natasha ~ TashaDelrae.com