Saturday, October 20, 2012

Color Block and Fabric Mixing--Inspired by Stella McCartney


 Upon seeing Stella McCartney's "Milly" dress I knew I wanted to make a dress inspired by it.
Link at Net-a-Porter
The back of it has some white panels, but I could not find an image of the back that would copy, but you can click on the link above and see it.    I love the color-blocking trend and when I saw that this dress involved mixed materials and color-blocking, I knew I had to make an inspired version.  
     My dress is not the same style.  I used M6028, view D.
Please forgive these pictures for being a little dark.  I could not get outside to take these pictures, and the lighting in my living room has been weird lately.  I think I need some new bulbs.
  I originally bought some brown tweed from denverfabrics to use but when I placed it beside my other fabric choices, it just did not look right.  I decided to use some black and white tweed that I purchased from Mood Fabrics for the front panel.  I first used it here.  The royal blue, black, and white ponte knit is from Hancock Fabrics. I have sewn with double knit before but never with ponte knit.  
I have some wrinkling going on in the back that I think is caused by the exposed zipper.  I originally installed an invisible zipper, but this ponte knit did not like it at all.  The fabric did not lay down correctly at the seam.   If I can get the dress over my head without unzipping the zipper, I may just remove it.  However, I don't know if that will work because ponte knit does not seem to have as much stretch as double knit.  I may just move it to the side, or, better yet, pretend it doesn't bother me.

I have had this pattern in my stash for awhile and thought it would work well.  It was very easy to sew, well-written and went together pretty quickly.  I have worn this to church and may wear it to work, but I tend to wear different styles to work that I do church.  I usually wear dresses to church and,  for work, I wear skirts (or pants) tops, and cardigans.  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!  

16 comments:

Linda said...

I too have had this pattern for awhile. I have yet to try it. I like your version!

alethia said...

This pattern is in my collection, I may give it a try. The colors you choose for the dress are harmonious.

Victoria said...

You are doing some cool things with color blocking. Love the colors choices and pattern!

Catherine Daze said...

I think you should keep the back zip. The wrinkling's very minor and the zip adds a nice accent to the back. Great colours!

Selective Fine Fabrics said...

Your colour blocking looks great as does the pattern.

Agnieszka D said...

wow beautiful dress, Stella Mccartney is my favourite designer

Amanda S. said...

Fun dress!

Bunny said...

Very cute and looks great!

Angela said...

What a great dress! It's very flattering on you!

thecuriouskiwi said...

I've had this pattern in my stash for a while too - I bought it after I saw the Michael Kors versions (not sure which came first actually!) but yours is the best version I've seen so far, I might have to push it up the queue ;)

I don't think the back wrinkling is that bad, I like the exposed zipper - it ties it all together.

meli88a said...

I love your version of this dress, even more than the inspiration dress. The colors are great.

V ikah said...

Oh my goodness! I just stumbled onto your blog and you are my new sewing hero!! You are so amazing and smart for gathering inspiration from the fashion world!! Way to go!

Audrey said...

I have been admiring SM's color blocked dresses. What impressed me was that she was using different kinds of fabric in her dress; knits with tweeds, and shiny charmeuse with knits like your inspiration dress.

Your version is wonderful. I love the colors and fabrics you used and it looks great on you.

SewPetiteGal said...

I love the colors you chose for the dress! I have this pattern too :)

So sorry this is late, but I got that "Chinese porcelain" fabric from Hancock Fabrics.

Pam said...

I like your version even better than the inspiration!

Meg said...

oh i like yours even better! great colors