Fast forward to 2012. I have been wanting a red velveteen jacket similar to this beauty I saw last year at White House Black Market. I love the gathered sleeves at the shoulder, the cropped length, and just the general shape of the jacket. It is just all together awesome!!!
I bought some Toscana Velveteen in red from fabric.com at the end of 2011 with plans to make a similar jacket. It is such a pretty shade of true red. It is showing up on my screen as more of a burgundy but, in reality, it is a bright red.
I decided to give B5392 another try, but in View C, since the sleeves are not flouncy like View D. It has the general shape of the WHBM jacket even though the collar is different. I never make muslins of jackets because I just fit them as I go. I am sure I will pay for it one day, but until then, I will just continue happily along. One thing I learned from this pattern is--never trust a pattern that only has only drawings on the front of the envelope!!! I had read that suggestion before, but you know how sometimes you don't buy into something until it happens to you.
The body of the jacket went together with no problem. I cut my normal size and just took in a little here and there on the seams until I got the fit I wanted. The sleeves were a different matter. Those pretty narrow sleeves that are shown in the drawing of View C are not the case in real life. I got them set into the jacket and tried it on and they were HUMONGOUS and WIDE. I had take in an entire seam allowance on each sleeve seam, tapering up to the armhole. It was take up, try on, take up, try on until I got them correct. I suppose it really wasn't much more work than the fitting I did on the bodice, but it was very unexpected given the deceiving picture.
I made one alteration involving the sleeve insertion in that I did not do it like the pattern instructed. This pattern has very strange instructions for inserting the sleeve. I have seen these instructions before, and even tried this method once, but it was a pain. The pattern directs you sew the body of the jacket and line it. Then, you sew the sleeves together at the wrists, turn them inside out, sew the sleeve to the armhole, and then turn under the seam allowance on the lining armhole of the sleeve and fit it around where the sleeve has been sewn to the body of the jacket. I did not do that. I made the shell of of the jacket and inserted the sleeves. Then I made the lining and inserted those sleeves. Then I sewed the jacket and lining together by the instructions and inserted the sleeve lining into the sleeves (you know, the normal way). I do not understand why the instructions give the sleeve directions the way they do. Any ideas? It is definitely not easier, at least for me.
a truer picture of the jacket color
The hardest part of sewing this jacket for me was turning it inside out. When you sew the lining to the shell, the directions indicate to leave an opening at the bottom of the flounce. I had the hardest time getting all that fabric pulled through. I finally had to make the opening larger to get it to turn inside out. Hmmmm....that may be the reason for why the pattern instructs sewing in the sleeves the way it does, so that there is not so much to turn inside out. However, it is still not worth it to me.
I chose not to sew satin ribbon on the jacket like the WHBM version. I thought it would be a little too dressy for work and I was afraid that I might have problems with ripples along the velvet where the ribbon was sewn. Basically, I just wasn't into it.
I lined the jacket in a basic red lining fabric bought from my local fabric store and I used a button left over from a previous project.
please forgive wrinkles--I took this pic after wearing it for 12 hours
I find velveteen to be a little challenging to work with in that it is hard to press. I used a cotton towel in between the velveteen and my iron. I also used a walking foot. I am getting to where I use a walking foot on a lot of projects in addition to knits. It just feeds better through the sewing machine for me. I will show you my outfit pic at the bottom of this post, but first let me tell you about the skirt.
I live in a small town and work in a town that is only slightly larger. Needless to say, there are not alot of great finds at thrift stores, except for one in the town where I work. There is this one thrift store that is fabulous!!! I find tons of stuff every time I go in there. I don't know where they get theire clothing, but it is wonderful. I was walking through a few months back and spied this skirt that looked just like Burberry material. I almost had a spell right there in the store. I grabbed the skirt and looked at the tag inside. Needless to say, it was not a Burberry skirt, but it sure looks like one. Even though it was too long and two sizes too big, I bought it for a whole $2.50, took it home, and altered it to fit. Compare the swatch of Burberry fabric below to my skirt. They are virtually identical.
my thrift store skirt
I most definitely saved the part I cut off to shorten the skirt to use for a "Burberry" scarf in my future.
Here is the outfit as I wore it to work:
brown camisole: Walmart
bow tie booties: Old Navy
Until next time, Happy Sewing!!!