Saturday, October 20, 2012

Color Block and Fabric Mixing--Inspired by Stella McCartney


 Upon seeing Stella McCartney's "Milly" dress I knew I wanted to make a dress inspired by it.
Link at Net-a-Porter
The back of it has some white panels, but I could not find an image of the back that would copy, but you can click on the link above and see it.    I love the color-blocking trend and when I saw that this dress involved mixed materials and color-blocking, I knew I had to make an inspired version.  
     My dress is not the same style.  I used M6028, view D.
Please forgive these pictures for being a little dark.  I could not get outside to take these pictures, and the lighting in my living room has been weird lately.  I think I need some new bulbs.
  I originally bought some brown tweed from denverfabrics to use but when I placed it beside my other fabric choices, it just did not look right.  I decided to use some black and white tweed that I purchased from Mood Fabrics for the front panel.  I first used it here.  The royal blue, black, and white ponte knit is from Hancock Fabrics. I have sewn with double knit before but never with ponte knit.  
I have some wrinkling going on in the back that I think is caused by the exposed zipper.  I originally installed an invisible zipper, but this ponte knit did not like it at all.  The fabric did not lay down correctly at the seam.   If I can get the dress over my head without unzipping the zipper, I may just remove it.  However, I don't know if that will work because ponte knit does not seem to have as much stretch as double knit.  I may just move it to the side, or, better yet, pretend it doesn't bother me.

I have had this pattern in my stash for awhile and thought it would work well.  It was very easy to sew, well-written and went together pretty quickly.  I have worn this to church and may wear it to work, but I tend to wear different styles to work that I do church.  I usually wear dresses to church and,  for work, I wear skirts (or pants) tops, and cardigans.  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!  

Thursday, October 4, 2012

B5677: Colorblocking with Scarlet and Winter White




    I bought Butterick 5677 when it first came out and it sat in my pattern stash.  I wasn't really sure what approach I wanted to take as far as the color blocking was concerned.  I didn't really want to do the black and ecru on the front, so one day I was perusing Pattern Review and saw a review where someone had done it in red and ecru.  I just fell in love with that and decided that is what I would do.
  The fabric is Sophia Double Knit from Fabric.com in scarlet and winter white.  I am getting to where I really like sewing with double knit.  I did not add a lining to this dress because I didn't feel it needed one.  The double knit does not ravel so there is no need to finish the seams inside.  I know that would drive alot of seamstresses crazy, but I am fine with it.   I just drafted a facing for the neckline and turned under the seam allowance on the sleeves.    The thing I love about this pattern is the pattern numbering.  The odd numbered pattern pieces are sewn in one color and the even numbered pieces are sewn in the second color.  That made cutting it out much easier.  I also did not add a zipper because this is a knit and I did not have any problem getting it over my head.  I never put zippers in any kind of knit.

     If I had this dress to make again I would probably lengthen it a little.  I normally add a couple of inches just in case I need it, but for some reason I just whacked right into this fabric and didn't bother to add any length.  Because of that, I can't see myself wearing this to church and sitting in the choir in it.   I can wear it to work because I sit behind a desk all day.  
          Forgive the above picture where I don't have my dress straightened in the back.  I was running across the porch before my timer went off on my camera and did not get everything situated.  Also, it was about 90 degrees and humid outside (see my flat hair) , so I was just happy to get a picture that was not blurry.
Matching up where the seams come to a point on the side was a challenge.  I had to rip it out about three times to get it right.  I still haven't worn this dress out yet.  I have been sewing like a mad woman and putting out more dresses than I have time to wear.  I am probably going to wear it to work next week, if it isn't too cool.  It is starting to get a little cooler in South Alabama and the humidity is getting lower.  I will try to get in at least one wearing of this dress before it is too cold.  
  Until next time, Happy Sewing!!