Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Burda 5-2011-113: Wool Military Jacket




    I stopped subscribing to Burda Style a couple of years ago when I began to be disappointed in every issue.  It seems though that in the past year they have really stepped it up.  I am considering re-subscribing because there have been several really awesome issues that I have purchased as single issues.  I did not purchase the May 2011 magazine but downloaded this jacket pattern from the BurdaStyle website.
     I really don't enjoy putting PDF paper patterns together, but I wanted this jacket so badly that I perservered.  I usually end up with some of the lines not matching, but this one went together pretty well.  There was one place where I did not line up perfectly, but it was on a curve so I just fudged it a little.

     For Burda, the pattern was pretty well-written.  I did not have any real trouble deciphering the instructions and it was well-drafted. I made the jacket exactly according to the instructions.
    The fabric was a lovely wedgewood blue wool flannel that I bought last year from the Wool Connection.  I am absolutely obsessed wool flannel, which is pretty sad, since the temperatures never stay cold enough for long enough where I live for me to really indulge myself in a lot of wool flannel garments.  Unfortunately, we are having another warm winter so far in south Alabama with a cold day about once per week.


     I knew that my main problem would be finding enough buttons that were all alike.  As I recall, the jacket calls for 18 buttons with 6 of those being on the sleeves.  I had 14 military buttons that were alike but knew I would not be able to find 4 more.  I looked at my local Singer and found 6 smaller buttons that we like the ones I had.  They were used on the sleeves.   I did not work any buttonholes on the lapel of the jacket since they were really unnecessary and I was lazy.  
    I wore this jacket to work in this outfit below.  I have been unable to take pictures outside because we have had a number of dreary, cloudy days.  
Blouse:  JCrew
Skirt:  Thrifted
Shoes:  Amazon
Lt Gray Tights

shoe closeup

Happy Sewing!!


  

   

16 comments:

Aminat said...

Love the jacket and your total package

Nadine in NC said...

I love this jacket! I think it would also look great with something more casual like jeans. The button thing would definitely stump me; I'm glad you were able to find enough of one style to make it work. Great job.

SEWN said...

Love the jacket. That color is awesome. Beautiful work.

Rebecca said...

This is fabulous! Your sewing is amazing as always! I love the light color with the military style buttons. Can I come raid your closet, lol?

Erica B. said...

Love the jacket... I'm a fan of military style. You look nice. But I think it would really look great dressed down with a pair of dark wash jeans. And that skirt would look amazing with knee high boots. And those shoes are so great!

Victoria said...

Lovely jacket!!!!! The color and style are perfect on you!!!

Mela R. said...

Instantly I though, "Hot." That is one hot jacket there!

crystalpleats said...

Love the jacket, and the whole outfit looks great together.

MAD14kt said...

Well done!!! :)

zilredloh said...

I love this jacket! 16 buttons is quite impressive too.

I just added this to my burda favorites after seeing your lovely wool version. :)

Marie said...

Your jacket looks fantastic. It looks like it would be a versatile piece in your wardrobe.

Vanessa said...

First, let me say that I am finding that I love anything military style!! Second, your jacket is wonderful. Third...those shoes are also pretty. Fourth, I forgot I could buy single issues of Burda...

meli88a said...

I relate to everything you say here -- I also gave up my Burda subscription but seeing others' recent posts I am reconsidering my decision. And who doesn't know that feeling of I.Have.To.Have.That.Now! Assembling the PDF pattern was worth it because that jacket is fab!

AllisonC said...

Great jacket, I really like the combination of military style with pastel blue.

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

That's a great jacket, Rachel, and so on trend right now. Good work!

Diana said...

Great jacket and love the shoes! I agree about Burda. I only buy issues when I go to Montreal or Ottawa. Can't get them here and it's just as well.