Saturday, February 23, 2013

Kate Spade Knock Off: New Look 6910

 
     If there is one designer whose clothing I love to knock off, it is Kate Spade.  See hereherehere, here and here.   I love her pieces of clothing so much I just want to hug them. If I was a rich person, I would probably spend all my extra money on Kate Spade clothing.   When patternreview announced their RTW contest last month, it was the motivation I needed to participate.  Here is the pattern review.
  The basic construction of the dress was very simple.  However, the changes I  made were a bit more involved.  I spent several nights sleeping on how I would do the cut outs on the bodice.  I finally decided to just shape some 1/4" double fold bias tape into teardrops, sew them onto the bodice, and then cut out the fabric from the center.  The neck and armholes are also bound with the bias tape.
     Back in 1999 when I learned to sew, I started with children's clothing.  I did lots of smocking and lace shaping.  I just used a similar technique for cutting out fabric from behind lace to cut out these shapes.  There are also two cut outs in the back.

The New Look pattern calls for only lining the bodice, but I chose to line the entire dress in black polyester lining like the Kate Spade dress.
The dress fabric is Shantung Sateen from fabric.com in the color Pride.  I absolutely love this fabric and have bought it in several colors.  I have plans for a future Kate Spade knockoff from some more of it.  My plans are to wear this dress to church on Easter, if it is not too cold.    Here is a better view of the front.


16 comments:

Agnieszka D said...

Wow beautiful dress.

Vanessa said...

This is a beautiful entry to Patternreview's RTW contest. I love the color, and the loops on the bodice. Good luck!

prttynpnk said...

Nicely done! I think I need to look at more Kate Spade designs!

Regina Gee said...

Very pretty dress. I love the cut-out detail around the neckline. This will be a great dress for Easter.

Rosy said...

Wow! You will be the center of attention in the church that day! That dress is wonderful! You are very clever in creating these cuts on the bodice ... love it!

Ann said...

I love Kate Spade too
and all her colorful items not just her dresses.

Your take on this dress
looks really nice
and it looks good on you.

Sandee Royalty said...

I was thinking of trying the cutouts on one of my favorite dress patterns but chickened out...now I may just try it! This dress looks super!
xoxo,
Sandee from
katespade-aholic.com

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I adore the black trim and the neck details in that dress - I know I keep saying this, but you're super-talented!

msoszrqp said...

In the end there was no deal but I have a feeling we have not seen the last of the Barefoot Runners from Boulder. Best Casual Shoes For Men are the perfect spokes people for this rather unusual, but very comfortable looking sandal.

Ms. mammoth said...

Hello!

I recently found a link to the knip mode skirt that both you and celia made, and I am desperate to get ahold of that pattern and make myself the skirt, but I cannot find mention anywhere of which issue of the magazine that pattern was in. Can you tell me which issue to look for, or would you be willing to part with your copy of the pattern?

thanks!

-Amber
a@woollymammothdesign.com

silvergirl said...

how cute is the detailing on this dress!!?
as always...jealous of your sewing skills
brett

Sincerely Sammie said...

Sigh...you're really inspiring me to learn how to sew! Great job on this Kate Spade knock off!

Erin i-heart-fabric said...

Such a pretty dress!! If your interested I'd love to post your version on my copy cat page! You can get a voucher for BurdaStyle from me for entering too!! At www.i-heart-fabric.blogspot.com.au
Erin :)

Heather said...

I just love the detail near the neck - what a lovely look!

XO
Pearls & Paws

Buttons Apart said...

You look gorgeous! Such a pretty dress.

Sita xx
http://buttonsapart.blogspot.co.uk/

Rebekah Bradford said...

Wow you did a great job! cute dress!

http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/